To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
As I mentioned last week, in this class we will focus on The Design Process, discovering who you are, what you want to say, and how to best communicate what’s happening in your noggin.
Most us us don’t know who we really are. I don’t just mean students, I mean people. Many adults are still just ignorant as to what actually motivates them and controls their feelings. What would happen if you just took the time to actually look inside yourself and figure out what makes you tick? Try expanding. Try not giving up so fast. Try focusing on something long enough to make yourself excellent. Try finding your own inner muse. Maybe read something that makes you think once a day (heck, start with just one a week). Look for daily inspiration in your own creativity.
And as we mentioned in class , we’re going to find our passion- the thing that is most valuable to us as a person in this life. By the end of the week, you need to find a character trait (extra sources: 1, 2 )and an organization you believe in (extra sources: 1). A lot of your projects for the rest of the year will be focused on these two issues. I want to integrate what’s important to YOU in theis class. Remember, it’s not just about design, and it’s certainly not about me in here… it’s all about YOU. What makes you special? Why are you here? What are you gonna do to make the world better because you’re in it- both for yourself and for the world in general. Why should anyone care about what you have to say?? Why should you get respect and be heard?
Next couple classes we’ll look into a little more about finding out who you really are. Sometimes it’s hard to see. Let’s take a look at who you are and what makes you tick. Explore your strengths and and weaknesses. As it’s been said by the greatest minds, we must know ourselves to be wise, that the unexamined life is not worth living (Socrates).
Everyone wants to be treated with respect and dignity, but many of us don’t even give ourselves that same respect and dignity we want from others. Get to know yourself. Find out who you are, what you stand for, and what motivates you. It’s time to meet the real you. Not the one you pretend to be. Not the one you want everyone to THINK you are, but the real you.
It’s going to be a good year for those of you that want to be better people- but this class is no place for the lazy, the quitters, and the losers!! And it’s just a choice to NOT be a slug, quitter, or loser- so everyone can play the be a real person game! Choose today to be a winner, or find another class- In here, you only lose when you quit!!
Here’s what I want you to knock down this week:
- Grab a sheet of paper (until the new AMAZING feature of the site is revealed… I’m working TIRELESSLY on it!!!)
- Find a character trait (extra sources: 1, 2 )and an organization you believe in (extra sources: 1). Write them both down on your paper.
- Take this test (3 results to research) and here (1 result, but not always accurate) to get your personality type number (1-9).
- Verify your number on the Enneagram Easy Summary (if it’s wrong, read the others until you find which one is the best description of you). If your description sounds like you, write down the number on your paper.
- Then read the full description of your personality type on THIS PAGE (click on your number). If you got it right, it should be a little creepy how well it describes you! You’ll also learn how to work better with people of other types and famous people that were your personality type! (for the curious, I’m a two). Write a short response to how this exercise made you feel. Did it help you see yourself more clearly?
- Then take THIS TEST! This is another personality profile called the Meyers Briggs Personality Test. It’s hugely popular. After you answer the questions, Look at the “Self awareness and personal Growth” section and the “Career Choices” Links on the results page. (it’s in the middle section, two boxes on the left of the screen) Write down your Personality type (4 letters) and the careers that were revealed on your Career Choices Page. Were these careers you’ve thought about before? Does it seem to fit who you are? Anything interesting in your Self awareness and personal growth page?
So, we’re going to jump ahead of my normal order of things to get into some fun design stuff today. CLICK HERE to get going on designing a logo for yourself!!!
Check out this cool article if you want! Hidden gems in logos you’ve seen before, but you’ll never see them the same way again!
Check out this AMAZING site with excellent logos using negative space. Nothing sexier than negative space. That’s fo’ real. Thanks MR!