We’ve worked a lot with the pen tool and other illustrator tools. This project is a creative project where you will use a picture of yourself to create a self-portrait using illustrator.
Draw a self-portrait in illustrator
- Look at the EXAMPLES!!! Ours as well as theirs (They also have this and this) You’ll need to do at least this good for an “A” on the project!
- Watch the Brainbuffet.com tutorials on Creating a Self Portrait-(I recommend watching one, doing the step, save your work, then move to the next video, do it, save, etc…) Looking for the old videos??
- Take a picture of yourself or scan a picture you already have
- You must create a vector illustration of yourself in Illustrator
- The image you create can be in any style (cartoon, abstract, etc…)
- The image must be in color.
- The image must be created as a letter sized (8.5×11) image.
- Save the project as 113selfport-username.ai in your Folder
- Save another copy for web with a maximum dimension of 1000 pixels for uploading to the lab. Use “113-username” as the file name so we can always know who’s work that is if it hits the wall or web! (replace username with your online lab login name).
- Illustration Software (Illustrator)
- Our very own Gallery of Vector Self Portraits at Brainbuffet.com!
- Maclab Tutorials– TONS of awesome Illy Tuts!
- Internet Research
- Adobe Video Workshop is a great place to get introductory tips on Adobe products!
- Google Search for illustrator tutorials
- *******WANNA MAKE YOUR VECTOR SPARKLE??? POLISH IT!!!!********
- Pay attention to your main features and trace those large areas.
- It’s easier to trace the “lower” images first, then the “top” images (draw your head before your eyes, draw your iris before your pupil)
- Experiment with all the tools, pencil, pen, brush, etc… See what tool feels best for each part
- Experiment with line, proportion, and color- they’re the major focus on this project.
- USE AND NAME LAYERS for the different parts you draw… it will help when you have to rearrange things.
- The wacom tablets should really help here. Use them to make the process feel more natural.
Illustrator document demonstrating mastery of all concepts in specifications. Final Design Image.
- Create a web page that is a tutorial for other students doing this activity. Explain in detail (with graphics) a specific concept related to this project.
- Create a portrait of a friend or celebrety
- Create a still life in the same or different style from your portrait (building, object, famous art, landmark)
State Standards Met: